Tuesday, August 4, 2009

World's Largest Ball of Twine


Now this one seems to have a lot of controversy so I must tell you that it is in fact the world's largest ball of twine made by one man. There is a larger ball of twine but it was made by several people. The one I saw is in Darwin, Minnesota on 1st street next to the water tower. It is 12 feet around and weighs 17, 400 lbs. It was made by Francis A. Johnson. Francis started wrapping his ball of twine in March 1950 and would wrap for 4 hours every day. I'm not sure many days he wrapped for but I'm guessing a lot. That is definitely dedication. Darwin is very proud of this creation and has even created twine ball day which I missed by 2 days. It kind of looked like it was fun, I wish I could have stayed to see what festivities were going to happen. Maybe one day I'll go back just for twine ball day!

No comments:

Post a Comment